I recently went to Morocco, just a weekend trip, a couple of days in Marrakesh, and even with only a couple of days I was able to find several things that could make me fall in love with the city and a couple of them that would most likely make not going back:
Why fall in love with Marrakesh:
– The food is amazing!!! I just love food in general, but I loved everything, from the tagines to the desserts and that amazing mint tea.
– Sometimes it seems that we’re walking around in the middle ages, the souks, with all the small shops, either while working there – iron, textile, or even the ones with the living chickens – even the type of clothing, can transports us to another place in time.
– They’re super nice, either in the hotel or even in the shops while we’re trying to haggle.
– The haggle, it can be a bit stressful, but at the same time is an experience that all of us must have in our life.
– The 1001 ways in which you can get lost in the medina (I love to walk around with no destination).
And then the 5 reasons why I’m not completely in love:
– Even if they’re super nice in some of the occasions, when you’re a woman walking around, there’s always going to happen some kind of harassment and there will be times in which you’re not going to feel completely comfortable.
– The haggle, you can’t buy anything without fighting the price, they don’t even tell you the price until everything is in the bags.
– They try to sell you everything!!!! Sometimes you can’t even enjoy the square without someone trying to sell you anything. If you take a picture they’ll ask you for money.
– The crazy motorbikes everywhere… and I mean everywhere!!!
– The traffic, both the one in the streets, that give us headaches if you try to cross the street or if you’re in a car.
However the good overweighs the bad, and I’m most likely going back somewhere along the next couple of years.